Teams in this post:

Tigers rally for win over Trojans

Terrebonne High quarterback Colby Stewart (right) tries to break the tackle of Central Lafourche's Rashad Sims. (Photo by Chris Heller/Staff)

Throughout Friday night's District 7-5A battle with Central Lafourche, Terrebonne High made big offensive plays and had some of them negated by penalties.

But with the game on the line, the Tigers found their poise and put together a five-play game-winning drive.

Down one point with just over 4 minutes remaining, junior quarterback Colby Stewart (3-of-10, 48 yards passing, 16 carries, 85 yards, TD rushing) accounted for all 61 yards, culminating in a one-yard touchdown run to give the Tigers a 19-14 homecoming District 7-5A victory over the Trojans at Thomas B. Smith Memorial Stadium.

"We've been wanting 48 minutes all year. It took us six games to do it," Terrebonne coach Gary Hill. "I think we have one bad play on defense. Offensively, a couple of penalties killed us, but we kept fighting, kept trying to execute."

Central Lafourche coach John Callahan pointed to a number of mistakes by his team.

"I don't think the game should have been that close. I think we made some mistakes, fumbles and some penalties that totally messed us up," Callahan said. "But I give Terrebonne credit. They scored when they had to. It was a very tough game."

Central Lafourche (2-3, 1-1 district) got on the scoreboard on their second possession. Dorian Parker (8 carries, 85 yards) took the pitch from quarterback Tyler Hebert and sprinted 61 yards for the touchdown. The point after by Brader Dufrene was good, giving the Trojans a 7-0 lead with 11:09 left in the first quarter.

Terrebonne (3-3, 2-1 district) responded by composing an eight-play, 53-yard drive in the second quarter. Stewart ran the option right and pitched to Deshaun Diggs (16 carries, 146 yards, 2 TDs) who dashed 15 yards for a touchdown. The point after by Travis Manor was wide left, leaving the Tigers behind 7-6 with 6:36 before halftime.

Terrebonne committed 12 penalties for 129 yards in the game, it cost them opportunities to put more points on the scoreboard in the first half. On their second possession, Terrebonne drove to the Trojans 10-yard line, but a holding penalty and an intentional grounding call pushed them back to the 44, forcing the Tigers to punt.

With 51 seconds remaining before halftime, Tigers defensive lineman Jeremiah Thomas intercepted Trojans quarterback Luke Falgout (2-of-8, 30 yards, INT) and returned it to the Trojan's 47-yard line. However, penalties for an unsportsmanlike conduct and holding took Terrebonne out of scoring range, leaving them down 7-6 at intermission.

"There were a lot of penalties in this game," Callahan said. I don't think we took advantage of the situation."

On Terrebonne's second drive of the second half, Diggs took a handoff, ran off right tackle along the sidelines, then cutback inside to avoid the last Trojans defender on an 80-yard touchdown run. Manor's PAT was good, putting the Tigers up 13-7 with 6:36 left in the third.

"Deshaun has been trying to get loose a while now. We were finally able to get him the ball a little more," Hill said. "He ran the ball hard. He started to get his legs back under him and back to when he was two years ago."

The Trojans answered on the next possession with running back Bryson Davis (9 carries, 76 yards) accounting for 69 of 76 yards on the drive. He finished the series with a 10-yard touchdown run. Dufrene's PAT gave Central Lafourche a 14-13 lead entering the fourth quarter.

The teams traded turnovers midway through the final quarter. Davis fumbled on the Trojans 43-yard line, which was recovered by Terrebonne. Three plays later, Stewart was intercepted by the Trojans Rashad Sims on the 20.

After Terrebonne's defense forced a three-and-out, Stewart worked his late game heroics. On third-and-five he completed a 33-yard pass to Devin Madison to the Trojans 23-yard line. After a holding penalty pushed Terrebonne back to the 35, Stewart tried to run up the middle, bounced off one of his linemen and galloped 34 yards along the left sidelines before being knocked out of bounds at the 1-yard line.

Stewart took the quarterback sneak in the end zone on the next play for a touchdown, but he failed on a similar play for two-point attempt leaving the Tigers ahead 19-14 with 2:03 remaining.

Central Lafourche was able to get to midfield on it final possession, however Terrebonne's defense sacked Falgout three times on the series to secure the win.

"We just have to be able to rebound. The season isn't over," Callahan noted. "We still have four district games to go. We have to put this behind us and get ready to play next week."

For Hill, he hopes the comeback victory provides his young team with lessons it can take with them beyond the football field.

"A lot of the community only sees football games as wins and losses. As coaches we see it is teaching young man what life's all about," Hill said. "It would have hurt to be on the wrong side of the scoreboard, but we want them to fight for what they want and to be successful and carry that with them in their lives."