Teams in this post:

Terrebonne rallies late vs. Ellender

Big shots, big leads and one big comeback.

Deshaun Diggs broke through traffic and hit a game-winning layup with 10 seconds left in the game as Terrebonne rallied past Ellender, 63-62, Monday in non-district play.

The game-winning basket was part of a 36-point effort by Diggs, and Terrebonne (6-5 overall) erased a 15-point deficit at one point in the second half to get the victory.

Terrebonne spent much of the fourth quarter at the foul line as foul trouble plagued Ellender (6-4) in the final eight minutes. The Tigers trailed, 32-28, at halftime and were down 45-30 near the midway mark of the third quarter.

That's when Ellender went cold offensively and began struggling to finish drives. By the end of the third quarter, Terrebonne had whittled the Patriots' lead down to nine at 48-39.

Two foul shots by Diggs cut the Patriots' lead to five at 50-45 a minute into the fourth quarter, and Diggs drove the lane and banked a shot off the glass to make it a three-point game on Terrebonne's next trip down the floor.

After an Ellender turnover and another whistle against the Patriots sent Diggs back to the line, he made it a one-point game at 50-49. Terrebonne would tie it at 50-all at the free-throw line with less than four minutes remaining.

Moments later, Terrebonne's Will Moses grabbed a loose ball and added a basket for a 53-50 Terrebonne lead, capping a 10-0 Tigers run.

Terrebonne led 56-52 with just under two minutes to play — the Tigers' largest lead of the second half. Ellender led twice in the final minute of the game, but both times Diggs drove through the lane and hit clutch baskets to put Terrebonne back in front.

"We played man (defense) the whole first half," Terrebonne coach Derek Szush said. "We talked about extending on our zones a little higher than usual, and we were able to get pressure on the guards. We made their guards play defense so we could pressure."

It was the same strategy Terrebonne tried to execute in its last meeting with Ellender a week earlier on December 3.

This time, it worked.

"The plan the last time we played them was to get into their yard as far as making them play defense and try to get them in foul trouble," Szush said. "We did that, but it backfired on us because their subs came in and did a good job. We did the same thing (Monday) with the same plan."

Terrebonne shot 38 total foul shots as a team, including 23 by Diggs alone.

"Terrebonne did what they were supposed to do. They took the ball and drove to the hole," Patriots coach Cornell Scott said. "They saw how the calls were being given out, and in the second half, they were driving to the hole and getting some calls that I think we could have got on our end, too. But all credit to Coach Szush. He put his guys in the best situation, and they came out fighting."

Ellender was held to 14 points in the fourth quarter, 12 of which came in the final two-plus minutes of the game.

"We got kind of tentative," Scott said. "I thought our players were afraid to attack the rim because they were getting a charge. They were kind of hesitant to make that adjustment and drive to the rim and still do what we do."

Justin Johnson led Ellender with 21 points, and Leland Turner had 17. Curtis Anderson finished with 11 points, missing a potential game-winning shot at the buzzer.

Moses had nine points for Terrebonne and Alden Wesley finished with five.

Terrebonne led, 17-9, after the first quarter and led by as many as 10 in the first half – their largest lead of the game.


At Gray, the Braves improved to 7-2 overall with Monday's nondistrict win.

Individual stats from the game were not available.