Tarpons pull away from Rams

South Lafourche's Shawn Chermaie (14) scored a game-high 20 points in Monday's 64-45 win over West St. John in Galliano. (Photo by Keyon K. Jeff/Correspondent)

GALLIANO — South Lafourche used the 3-point line and the free-throw line to blowout Class 1A opponent West St. John 64-45 Monday night.

The Tarpons rained down eight 3-pointers on the Rams, including five in the third quarter, to build a single-digit lead into a 21-point advantage.

West St. John (1-1 overall) struggled from the foul line, going 6-for-21. Meanwhile, the Tarpons sunk 18-of-30 free throws.

"I thought we executed our offense well," South Lafourche coach Brian Callais said. "We had a game plan to get them in foul trouble. If we had made some free throws earlier in the game, we could have opened up a little lead on them."

South Lafourche (6-1) only trailed once in the game by allowing the opening basket. The Tarpons rolled off the next nine points, and a jumper by Treavon Evans (16 points) gave South Lafourche a 15-5 lead. Rams guard Quan Scott (17 points) nailed a 3-pointer as the first quarter ended to cut West St. John's deficit to 15-10.

Tarpon guard Shawn Cheramie scored five straight to begin the second quarter and 10 of his game-high 20 points in the period. His barrage included a pair of 3-pointers that increased South Lafourche's advantage to 29-21 at halftime.

West St. John tried to trap South Lafourche with its full court press throughout the game, but the Tarpons effortlessly broke it.

"We preach patience. I thought we did a good job hitting the open spots in our press offense," Calllais said. "It's just a matter of making smart passes, not lobbing the ball against the press because that's where you can get into trouble."

"We didn't close traps and we didn't rotate effectively the way the defenses designed to rotate," West St. John coach LeVanta Davis said. "We didn't transition normally, but that will come with time."

The Tarpons relentlessly bombed the Rams from downtown in the third quarter. They hit five 3-pointers, including a pair each from Evans and Devin Comardelle (eight points). But it was Evans put back layup as the third quarter buzzer sounded that brought the crowd to its feet and gave the Tarpons a 55-34 advantage.

"When we came out in the third quarter, we wanted to keep the pressure on them," Callais said. "If we're open deep, we shoot the ball. I think we got some guys this year that can shoot it. We also changed the defenses up to try and keep them off balance because they were starting to get into a rhythm at the end of the second quarter."

South Lafourche scored eight straight to start the fourth quarter and led by as much as 29 points midway through the period before winning by 19.

"Obviously I'm not pleased with the outcome of the game, but it's a learning experience," Davis said. "We faced a team that has a lot more experience than us. We fought for four quarters. Hopefully we'll build on this and get better."

For Callais, he just wants to see gradual improvement until the Tarpons reach the district potion of the schedule next month.

"It's a long season," he said. "We have to take it one game at a time and keep having our guys prepared so that we can be successful."


At Thibodaux, Thibodaux broke loose from Morgan City in the fourth quarter in Monday's nondistrict game.

In a see-saw battle through three quarters, Thibodaux (4-4) outscored Morgan City, 19-10, in the fourth quarter to get the six point win.

The teams traded leads in the first half with Morgan City up 8-7 after the first quarter, and Thibodaux leading 20-19 at halftime. Morgan City was able to regain the lead after three quarter by outscoring Thibodaux 14-12 for a 33-32 score.

Trevon Cole led Thibodaux with 21 points, as the Tigers rallied in the fourth quarter for the win. Also for Thibodaux, Tylor Jones scored nine.


At White Castle, Jared Wiggins scored 21 points, and Owen Mumphry chipped in 19 to lead the Wildcats to Monday's nondistrict win.

St. James (7-2) trailed throughout the game before outscoring White Castle 25-15 in the fourth quarter. The Wildcats trailed 19-14 after the first quarter, 32-31 at halftime and 43-42 after three quarters.