Teams in this post:

Wildcats celebrate first win since 2010

St. James wide receiver Malik Joseph (18) attempts to make a catch in front of Fisher's Alex Ourso (33) during Friday's District 8-2A opener in St. James. The Wildcats snapped a 25-game losing streak with a 54-0 win. (Photo by Abby Tabor/Staff)

ST. JAMES — It was a feeling that the St. James Wildcats faithful had not had since October 29, 2010 — the thrill of victory.

For the first time since Week 9 against Plaquemine High three seasons ago, the Wildcats won a game on Friday night, downing the Fisher Gators 54-0 in District 8-2A action.

The Wildcats led 41-0 in the first half of the homecoming contest.

Not only was it the first win in 25 games for St. James (1-4, 1-0 in district), but it was also the first district win of the season and the first win for first-year head coach Dwain Jenkins.

"It's great for the community. It's been so long," a Gatorade-soaked Jenkins said. "It's good for these kids to be able to experience what it means to win. I feel good for these seniors who have gone through the ups and downs of this team over the last two years. We fought hard and now that we've had some success, let's see how we handle it."

Things started quickly for the Wildcats, who recovered a fumble following a botched snap on the first play of the game. Three plays later St. James quarterback Lowell Narcisse (7-for-19, 195 yards, five touchdowns) found Rashaan Dennis (two catches, 82 yards, two touchdowns) from 17 yards out to put the wildcats ahead 6-0 at the 10:57 mark of the opening quarter following a failed two-point try.

Following another Gators miscue — a high snap on a punt — gave the Wildcats the ball on the 10-yard line, Narcisse found Camrin Grows from 15 yards out to give St. James a 12-0 lead with 9:04 to play in the first quarter.

A Fisher (0-5, 0-2 in district) fumble again put the ball in the Wildcats hands, and they again converted it into points with a 30-yard pass from Narcisse to D'Kwan Sandolph (three catches, 79 yards, touchdown).

A successful two-point run put the Wildcats in command 20-0 with 6:37 to play in the first quarter.

It was the Wildcats defense who accounted for the next score as a high snap sailed over the head of Gators quarterback Nicky Ourso and was pounced on by the Wildcats J'ai Lewis in the end zone to make the score 27-0 with 6:31 to play in the first quarter.

St. James added another score in the opening quarter, a 3-yard run by Narcisse, to push the score to 34-0 entering the second quarter.

A 19-yard pass from Narcisse to Qui han tai Adams accounted for the final Wildcats score of the half and a 41-point lead.

Narcisse admitted the defense made things a lot easier on the offense Friday night after it held the Gators offense to 64 yards and forced three turnovers.

"The defense helped us out. We wanted to make sure we just went out there and played ball like we know we can," Narcisse said. "We wanted to show everybody what we were capable of after all the hard work we have been putting in."

St. James closed the game with two more scores in the second half, which featured a running clock.

A 65-yard pass from Narcisse to Dennis to open the third quarter and a 29-yard touchdown run by Avery Joseph in the fourth quarter accounted for the final scores of the night.

For the St. James seniors like Sandolph it was important for them to put an end to the losing streak.

"This feels great. It took two years, but I'm relieved that we finally got it," Sandolph said. "We were getting close but never knew how to finish. (Friday night) we did that, and it gives us some confidence knowing what it takes to win now."

The Wildcats finished with 292 total yards, and kickoff was moved up an hour to 6 p.m. because of Tropical Storm Karen.